- 10 of the BEST Shampoos For Colored Hair
- Why A Special Shampoo?
- 3 Main problems after Hair Coloring
- Our Assumptions For this Guides Advice
- Things that affect your hair color quality
- Preserving Hair Color
- Shampoo Tips for Colored hair
- Avoid products that contain
- Sulfate free Shampoo
- Shampoo Balanced at PH level 4.5 to 5.5
- Avoid products that dry your hair
- Use Shampoo with Moisture and Protein
- Best Rated Colored Hair Shampoos Reviewed
- L’anza Healing ColorCare Color Preserving Trauma Treatment
- Pureology Anti-Fade Complex Hydrate Shampoo
- Aquage Color Protecting Shampoo
- Some Other Colored Hair Care Tips
Your colored hair needs to be protected and preserved, to make your tresses look more beautiful, attractive, shiny and healthy. For this, you need a good shampoo appropriate for your colored hair. Choosing the right shampoo is many times confusing as every product and brand says they are best in the market. So, a buyer can really get confused which product they should buy.
Worry not! Hopefully our guide here will help you to find the best shampoo for colored hair and show you how a shampoo can help you make your color treated hair more healthy and beautiful. Our guide also focuses on effective tips that will help you enhance your hair color as well find the ideal shampoo for your color and hair type.
10 of the BEST Shampoos For Colored Hair
If you are looking to buy online, then you can check out some of our expert recommended shampoos in the quick list below.
- L’anza Healing ColorCare Color Preserving Read Reviews
- Pureology Anti-Fade Complex Hydrate Shampoo Read Reviews
- Aquage Color Protecting Shampoo Read Reviews
- Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo Read Reviews
- Redken Color Extend Shampoo Read Reviews
- TIGI Bed Head Colour Goddess Oil-Infused Shampoo Read Reviews
- Pureology Pure Volume Shampoo Read Reviews
- Joico Color Endure Violet Sulfate-Free Shampoo Read Reviews
- Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Brightening Blonde Shampoo Read Reviews
- Briogeo Hair Care Be Gentle Be Kind Cleansing Shampoo Read Reviews
These are some of the highest rated shampoos that users say are very effective, and are from well known brands. If you are still a little confused in your shampoo selection, then refer to the mini guide below for best deals and advice.
Why A Special Shampoo?
Coloring your hair or using a hair dye product will only give you a color base, it does not ensure that your hair will look very beautiful or attractive for longer period of time. To make this happen, you need to take some measures after you are done with coloring. Here, a good shampoo can play an important role, but you may also need to take some extra care for a certain period of time after coloring, to maintain the beauty and color.
3 Main problems after Hair Coloring
- Dryness – Many people notice their hair to be drier and loose their natural moisture.
- Roughness – Hair becomes rough and makes it hard to comb.
- Tangling – It may cause tangles, which is a pain to manage on a day to day basis.
Our Assumptions For this Guides Advice
Before giving further advice and tips, we would like to make sure we take the following assumptions into account:
- We assume that you have gone through a proper consultation with an expert when you colored your hair. [If you are planning to color your hair, then you must consult an expert before proceeding. ]
- We assume that you have colored your hair at a good salon and with an appropriate product. Or if you have colored your hair at home, you have followed the correct instructions and have used a good quality at home product.
- We assume that your hair absorbed the colors well, because many people have hair textures that don’t absorb the colors very easily.
Now, if these basic assumptions are correct, then the rest of the guide is easy. You just need to be aware of some points below.
Things that affect your hair color quality
There are mainly 4 things that affects your hair color:
- Wrong Hair Care Product (Shampoo and Conditioner)
- Sun exposure
- Air Pollution
Water and a wrong product are mainly two things that effects your hair externally, mainly affecting your roots and texture. Sun exposure and pollution also affects hair color, but those effects are almost negligible unless measuring over a longer period of time.
Preserving Hair Color
Simply coloring your hair isn’t enough, regular care and using the right after-care products is very important, for example colored hair is prone to fading. You need to maintain and preserve the absorbed color to keep your hair looking healthy and beautiful in the long run. Tor this, a good shampoo and conditioner is absolutely important.
So, how do you select a good shampoo for preserving hair color?
Shampoo Tips for Colored hair
Some pointers to find best shampoo for colored hair
Avoid products that contain
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfates (S.L.S)
These ingredients not only create problems for your hair, but they also affect your skin and scalp. So try and avoid shampoo that contains these ingredients.
Sulfate free Shampoo
Sulfate in shampoo can lead to color fading. You will find a lot of shampoos that contain sulfate. The main purpose of adding sulfate as an ingredient in the shampoo is for deep cleansing your hair and scalp. But, sulfate is harmful for hair color as it fades the absorbed colors with its usage. As a result select a product which is sulfate free.
Shampoo Balanced at PH level 4.5 to 5.5
You must use a shampoo which maintains its PH level between 4.5 – 5.5. This is very important for protecting your hair from color fading. This is because a natural human hair possess a PH level of 4.5 to 5.5. But, when we wash our hair with normal shampoo, it may have chances of disturbing natural hair PH levels. To help dealing with this, we need a shampoo that helps in maintaining our PH level.
Avoid products that dry your hair
This is a possible problem that a lot of people face after coloring (dryness). The main reason is water and a wrong shampoo. So, you must look for shampoos that won’t make your hair go dry.
Use Shampoo with Moisture and Protein
These two ingredients are very important and must be there in a shampoo you choose. These two things make your hair healthy, shiny and beautiful. A right balance of moisture and protein is very important.
So, these are some points that you should consider while buying a shampoo for colored hair, they will help you to find the right shampoo. Now, if you are looking for proper hair wash tips, then you can refer to this guide.
Best Rated Colored Hair Shampoos Reviewed
Below, you can find reviews of some best shampoos on the market
L’anza Healing ColorCare Color Preserving Trauma Treatment
“L’anza” is one of the best shampoo brand available in the market . “L’anza healing Colorcare”, it is advertised as one of the best shampoos for colored hair. This product has got great reviews from the customer who have already used the product. Amazon gives it a rating of 4.6 out of 5 which is really great.
- This product holds the ability to protect and preserve your hair for a long period of time, this has been tested and proven to make color last 107% longer.
- It protects your hair from UVA and UVB rays. A great quality of this product that differentiate this product from others is that it works as a UV Protector, which means it safe-guards your hair from ultra violet rays. This protection help in preventing your hair from “color fading” and damage.
- It works as a full spectrum color protector that means it protects your hair color from environment factors.
- It does wonders for traumatized hair, works great with over processed hair.
- It is a very light product, it does not contain any harsh ingredients.
In my opinion it is one of the best colored hair shampoos. (Highly Recommended)
Pureology Anti-Fade Complex Hydrate Shampoo
This is also one of the great product for hair color protection. It really get a thumbs-up for its effectiveness. Amazon customers gives it a rating of 4.5 out of 5 that means it is a very good shampoo for colored hair. Reviews from the customer are one sided, people are really happy using this product. It is also a reasonably priced product for a “color preserving shampoo”.
- The very first advantage with this product is that it is a sulfate free shampoo. Which is the great quality of this product as you know sulfate as an ingredient in the shampoo leads to hair color fading.
- It comes with a great formula chemically driven to protect and preserve hair color for long period of time, which a quality of a good shampoo for colored hair.
- In spite of sulfate free, it gives a great lather and cleanse your hair very smoothly.
- It also gives you UV protection that is also a great quality of this product, which protects hair from hair color fading and damage.
- It ingredients are mostly organic and gentle for hair, which differentiates this shampoo.
I give a thumbs up for this product based on reviews, rating and its qualities, one of the best shampoos for colored hair. (Highly recommended)
Aquage Color Protecting Shampoo
“Aquage color protecting” is another good shampoo for colored hair. It is specifically designed for color treated hair. This product has had good reviews from the customer who have used the product. Talking about about rating, it has had 4.4 out of 5, which is more than satisfactory to list it here..
- It contains a wide range of ingredients that are very good for protecting hair color from fading.
- It provides a great fragrance, which is an additional quality of this product.
- It is an ultra light product that which is good for your color treated hair which helps in protecting the hair color molecules.
- This product contains Algaeplex sea botanicals which help in maintaining the shine and lusture of the hair.
Overall it is good product when we consider colored hair health. Its formula and recipe of unique ingredients and effective qualities makes it good shampoo.
Some Other Colored Hair Care Tips
- Avoid going in sun exposure and air pollution
These two things can really affect your hair color, So avoid going in sun exposure for some days after applying color.
- Avoid using too many chemical products
We all know that chemicals can damage our hair.These chemical products are hair gels, sprays, mousse, or any other non natural hair products. Avoid using them at least for some period of time.
- Proper protein intake from diet
Protein is very important for hair growth. After coloring, hair gets damaged a bit. So, to recover it, protein intake is very important in the diet. You must have a protein rich diet.
- Use good conditioner after hair wash
Conditioner after a shampoo wash is very important as it gives an extra nourishment.