With my dry, itchy skin, I adore body butter. Winter makes the itching worse, so I’ve tried countless lotions, creams, and potions in search of something that keeps my thirsty skin hydrated. This makes life so difficult, I want something that keeps me soft and moist, and I want it to be natural and organic.
Enter body butter.
What most people don´t know is that majority of the lotions in the market are made with water as a major ingredient. For those of us who need that little bit extra, then a good body butter is the only real solution unless you aim for a chemical dermatological cream. however not all of us need the extra chemicals on our skins, so before you try something stronger., try something better.
Body butters will make sure you feel smooth and leaves your skin relaxed. And with so many body butters on the market today, we made sure we looked into some of the best available, and some of these body butters have really high reviews from genuine users.
Best Selling Body Butters on the Market
Burts Bees Mama Bee Body Butter
This body butter takes the no. 1 place on amazons best seller lists! Read all Reviews here.
Unrefined Shea Body Butter
Taking second place is this pure unrefined shea butter. Loved by all who make their own. This lovely block comes with its own recipes, and works really well with ours below! Read all reviews here.
Making your Own Natural Body Butter
I’ve tried several brands and have made several versions of my own. What I settled on is a hybrid. I take a fabulous product and customize it for my personal taste.
The product I used to love is Trillium Organic’s Organic Shea Butter. It came in several scents, but my favorite was Pink Grapefruit/Refreshing. I guess there’s no denying my Florida heritage and love for all things citrus. unfortunately they dont do it anymore, and you may have to use another Trillium butter.
This product is a very firm butter with a delicious fragrance that requires warming in the hands to apply. Personally, I prefer a whipped butter that melts readily and glides effortlessly onto wet skin. Since Trillium does not offer a whipped butter, I transform their’s into my own creation. (see other make your own body product recipes here.)
How To Make your Own Body Butter
- Starting with an 8 ounce tub of shea butter, transfer the butter from the container into a ceramic bowl.
- First heat the bowl over a water bath and melt the butter.
- Once melted, let it cool until it starts to set up again.
- At this point add some vitamin E oil (available in your drug store) and organic coconut oil (I keep a jar in my pantry for cooking too).
The last time I did this, I didnt’ measure, I just started adding a stream of vitamin E oil and then a stream of coconut oil until I got the consistency I wanted.
- Then I beat the mixture on high speed with a hand mixer and set it in the refrigerator to firm up.
- When the butter began to take on a firm texture, I pulled it out of the refrigerator and whipped it some more with the hand mixer.
- After doing this two times and adding a bit more vitamin E oil, I ended up with a wonderful whipped body butter that glides on at the end of my shower – its just heavenly.
For those of you out there looking to be a bit more frugal, this approach also doubled the quantity of body butter.
With my whipped treatment, an 8 ounce tub of shea butter lasts me about 2 months.
By applying the body butter to dripping wet skin at the end of your shower or bath, it seals in a layer of moisture and gives you soft, fragrant skin that lasts all day. And no more winter itchies.
Trillium also has a wonderful assortment of body polishes if you want to purchase rather than make your own handmade skin care product.